Monday, June 25, 2012

Ross Alexander night

I've commented before that one of the great things TCM does is to put the spotlight on lesser-known people. Another example of this is TCM's salute to actor Ross Alexander, who died by his own hand at the age of 29 in 1937. He's the sort of actor about whom I will admit I don't know much about. I've seen him before in Flirtation Walk, but that's not airing tonight. He also played the navigator to Errol Flynn's Captain Blood, another very good movie which is also not part of tonight's tribute.

Instead, tonight's TCM lineup has several B-movies and the sort of not-quite-screwball comedies for which Alexander was apparently well-suited: I say "apparently" only because I don't think I've see any of the movies in tonight's lineup. TCM has helpfully provided an article about Alexander, which includes tonight's schedule. I know I'll be watching at least the first two, although after that is a bit late for me on the east coast.

No comments: